As we near the summer solstice the mercury is rising here in the UK. The smell of burning coals and delicious chargrilled morsels, mingles with the chime of an ice-cream van. A Sunday, I often roast a joint, not today. How can I enjoy juicy chicken without being cremated in the kitchen?
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 90g wild rocket
- 1 large mango
- 2 large avocadoes
- 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-4 tbsp runny honey
- Lightly toast the desiccated coconut in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, for 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Rinse the chicken in cold water, and pat dry with kitchen towel. Slice into goujons.
- Put the spices, desiccated coconut, and lemon zest in a large plastic food bag. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the bag. Seal and shake until the chicken is coated in the spice rub.
- For the salad peel, destone, and dice 1 mango. Destone and slice the 2 avocadoes, sprinkle over the juice of one lemon. In a serving bowl add the rocket, mango, and avocado. Set the salad aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok until hot. Fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Drizzle over the honey and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked, squeeze over the juice of 1 lemon and remove from the heat.
- Stir the chicken into the salad. Serve on its own, or with a good crusty bread.